Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

I Thought I Had This

Have you every had the thought that you didn't need to work on certain aspects of yourself. That you had it. Well I have to say that I was thinking that I had IT when it came to hospitality. I mean my house is an acceptable level of clean for visitors (which means everyone in the house better not even think about using a bathroom or move anything out of place). I am a passable cook, I learned from my mom, who by the way, is a fantastic cook. I will meet you at the door and offer you a chair and something to drink.

 When I accepted this job at Journey North as Guest Services Director, I thought I've got it, no problem. Here's the problem.God has been showing me for some time that I am a perfectionist. I come from a long line of perfectionists. Well one would think this would help in this type of job, wouldn't one? God showed me a clear picture this morning of true hospitality. Everything I read pointed to the same thing. I am more concerned with how things appear than my guests.

One devotional described the difference between social entertaining and Christian hospitality. Seems I have been entertaining. Entertaining focuses on the host; spotless house (or church) good food, jovial attitude. Christian hospitality focuses on the guest and their needs. A place to stay, nourishing food, someone to talk to, acceptance (these last two are really important). This can happen in a messy home with a can of soup or in a church that doesn't have Martha Stewart decorating and baking goodies.

Phyllis Stanley -"Hospitality is the message you give a person about their value."

I thought I had IT. I guess not. It's not about being a perfect host. It's about giving our guests what they truly need. Sometimes it's as simple as a glass of water and a listening ear.

I think I'm starting to get IT.

1 Peter 4:8-10  Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment